1. Urgent and targeted research to mitigate impacts of COVID-19
2. Supporting frontline healthcare workers
3. Supporting populations in need with healthy eating classes and delivery of food during this crisis
Did You Know?
• 1 out of 4 people hospitalized with COVID-19 had cardiovascular disease.
• More people of color are dying from COVID-19 than whites. The death rate for Black people is 3.8 times higher than whites, and Hispanics are dying at a 2.5 times higher rate than whites.
• The Association established 21 rapid research grants totaling $2.5 million to fast-track scientific research to better understand COVID-19 and its interaction with cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases
• Approximately 655,000 Americans die of cardiovascular disease (CVD) each year. This equates to 2,200 Americans each day, an average of 1 death every 40 seconds.
• CVD is the #1 cause of death in the U.S., costing our nation $1 billion a day.
• Despite these overwhelming costs, currently just 4% of the NIH budget is dedicated to heart research.
• When you join Heart Walk, you join more than a million people across America in taking a stand against heart disease, the #1 killer of men, women and children.